Saturday, June 2, 2007

Individual Action

Energy is mainly produced by the burning of fossil fuels, like coal, oil and gas, which release carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas. Fuel burnt in our cars also releases carbon dioxide. As an individual, although I have little control on how energy is produced, I can however control the way in which I use energy. Using less energy means less needs to be produced, thus, less carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere. There are a number of ways I can do to help to save energy. I can save energy at home by: turning off lights and appliances when they are not needed; having a shower instead of a bath; and turning home thermostat down. In addition, since carbon dioxide emissions also come from automobiles. By using public transport, and by cycling and walking more often, I as an individual can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide released by our cars.

No comments: